Friday, June 10, 2011

Crochet Hooks and Needles

Knotwyrd on Etsy
If you check out my etsy shop you can see I crochet alot.
Just wanted to talk a little about crochet hooks.
There are all kinds of crocheting needles out there.  Just a little from my experience.

The straight thin metal needles work.  I have used them for years, however after a while my ring finger and pinky start to get fatigued.  Not so good. 
Stay away from the plastic versions,  they tend to have molding lines in the plastic that your yarn can get caught on.  Spend the few cents more for the metal.  I have not tried the glass ones but they look really neat. 

Since I crochet a lot I figured I'd keep experimenting...
So I've been on an adventure to find what is the best.

Next I tried the Clover Soft Touch Needles.  These are a metal hook with a plastic handle. 
I actually found these harder to use and more fatiguing than the straight metal needles. The plastic handles are too short so they don't reach the far side of you hand, this maybe cause I have fairly large hands for a women though I do not have extra large hands.  If you have small hands these may work for you.  I like many of the other products that clover produces, especially for needle felting.
Clover Hooks

At Joann's stores they sell crochet hooks with a bamboo handle by Susan Bates.  These don't cost much more than the straight needles but are much easier on your hands,  worth the couple of extra bucks in you are crocheting frequently.


I journeyed further.

Then I discovered the Cadillac of crochet hooks.  These hooks are really expensive, but if you are seriously into crocheting they are the way to go. 



Addi SwingCrochet Hook by Skacel. These are imported from Germany....hmmmm maybe that makes them the Mercedes of crochet hooks.  They are engineered for you hands.  I can crochet for hours with them without getting hand fatigue.  Not only that and I can't explain
Well that's my 2 cents.  Love to here what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment